Machinist Level 1 - CNC, Lathe & Mill
Position: Machinist Level 1 - CNC, Lathe & Mill
Department: Fabrication Cell
Reports To: Operations Manager
Responsibilities include designing, programming, setup and fabrication of precision parts, tools and fixtures. Additional responsibilities include: creating and maintaining processes for our lathe and mill equipment, overseeing 6S in Machine Shop, and proper maintenance of equipment through PM program. The Manufacturing Engineer oversees the efficiency and safety of our current manufacturing processes, as well as developing new processes to improve manufacturing efficiency and/or decrease costs in the machining operation. This individual needs to be an expert with regards to production equipment and understand how to operate, change the settings, and optimize machine utilization. Individual must be self-reliant and able to operate well in a team environment.
- Manages work in area and communicates schedule to Manager
- Communicates with engineering while new projects are in the design phase and identifies changes in part design that will improve manufacturability
- Designs (using SolidWorks) and fabricates precision fixtures, tooling, or experimental parts to meet special engineering needs
- Studies sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering information to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products, and determine product dimensions and tolerances
- Sets up and run machines for small lot production of precision parts
- Analyzes current processes to monitor quality and improve where possible
- Monitors tooling costs and reports cost savings though process improvements
- Reads, understands, and creates specification sheets, blue prints, work instructions, and routings
- Writes CNC programs using Mastercam
- Measures, examines, or tests completed units to check for defects and ensures conformance to specifications, using precision instruments such as micrometers, optical comparator, CMM, and other complex measuring equipment
- Troubleshoots day to day machining and equipment issues
- Specify new equipment and tools to increase capabilities
- Crosstrain in CNC optical fabrication and inspection; serve as backup support in these areas
- Works with Sr. Manufacturing Engineer in developing new capabilities for the company's Modified Standard program
- Participates in 5S activities which include but are not limited to cleaning, organizing, sweeping, and mopping work area
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Skilled operation of CNC and manual Mills & Lathes; experience with vertical Haas mill and Hitachi Sieki lathe a plus
- Proficient in G-Code and M-Code programming; experience with Edgecam or Mastercam is a plus
- Proficient in CAD software; proficiency in SolidWorks is a plus
- Understand all aspects of blueprints including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Excellent math skills; ability to work in both Imperial and Metric systems
- Proficient in working with soft metals (aluminum, brass, etc.) and plastics
- General computer skills
- Bachelors of Science degree in Engineering or technical discipline or equivalent experience
- 5 or more years of machining and process engineering; tool making experience is a plus
- 3 or more years of CNC programming and CNC setups
- LEAN and Six Sigma knowledge/experience is a plus
Ability to sit or stand for long periods; ability to travel; adequate manual dexterity to perform essential functions; ability to use some physical efforts in the handling of heavy materials and machinery; ability to lift ≥50 lbs.; ability to work in manufacturing environment.
US Citizenship or permanent residence required.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.